When a person lose their control of bladder, that is consider as Urinary incontinence. This is a common and embarrassing problem. Its severity belongs to the leaking of urine while coughing and sneezing. It also leads to strong and sudden urge of urination that may results a leakage problem. Although, aforementioned problem occur often people get older. However Urinary incontinence is not a predictable outcome of aging. If the problem is affecting your daily life activities, don’t hesitate to visit an urologist. Most of the people can treat symptoms of urinary incontinence by adapting dietary change and simple lifestyle.
Several people experience trifling leaks of urine, other may elude small to moderate amount of urine more often.
There are several types of urinary incontinence which includes:
- Urge incontinence: In this particular type one feel intense and sudden urge to urinate which results an involuntary loss of urine. Those who are suffering from this may feel urge of urination all the time, including throughout the night. li>
- Stress incontinence: Due to the pressure on bladder by laughing, coughing, lifting heavy weight or coughing urine leaks.
- Mixed incontinence: As per its name the patient experience more than a type of urinary incontinence, mostly it is a combination of urge incontinence and stress incontinence.
- Functional incontinence: It is a kind of mental or physical impairment which frequently stops you to do toilet at the time. Arthritis is one such example.
- Overflow incontinence: The patient may experience repeated or steady drizzling of urine, because of the bladder doesn’t empty completely.
When to visit a Urologist
As urinary incontinence is an embarrassing problem, one might feel uncomfortable to consult a doctor. But if the problem occurs more often you must visit to an experienced urologist. As per lifestyle we are living it is necessary to seek medical advice because urinary incontinence may:
- Led to the risk of fall in older adults while they are rushing for toilet.
- Also restrict your activities even limits ones social interactions
- It fill the negative impact in your life
- With this it also indicate about the serious problem which either underlies inside patient’s body.
The cause of urinary incontinence generally belongs to everyday habits, physical problems or underlying any medical condition. A complete valuation by an urologist can diagnose the reason or causes of the incontinence.
Temporary urinary incontinence
Some kinds of drinks, medicines as well as food may act as diuretic drugs. This results in stimulation of one’s bladder and increment in the urine’s volume. These include:
- Chili peppers
- Intake of large amount of vitamin C
- Medicines of heart, Blood pressure, sedatives
- Artificial sweeteners
- By taking the food containing enough amounts of sugar, acid and spice.
- Drinks containing Carbohydrates and also sparkling water
Some urinary incontinence may also caused by:
- Urinary tract infection: These infections may irritate one’s bladder which causes a strong urge of urination and sometimes leads to incontinence.
- Constipation: As the rectum is located near the bladder it severs many of the nerves. Hard and compacted stool may trigger these nerves to overactive which increases the frequency of urination.
Persistent urinary incontinence
Urinary incontinence can also occur in persistent condition which is caused by the physical problems or changes underlie. These include:
- Pregnancy: By gaining enough weight and due to hormonal changes during pregnancy may lead to stress incontinence.
- Menopause: After menopause, production of estrogen hormone becomes less in women. It produces a line in the bladder to keep urethra healthy. Weakening of this tissue may causes incontinence.
- Childbirth: Vaginal delivery weakens the muscles of pelvic floor which helps the bladder to hold the urine. Due to this the bladder protrudes into the vagina and which is nearly associated with incontinence.
- Enlarge prostate: This problem occur especially in older men by enlargement of prostate gland, this condition is also known as benign prostatic hyperplasia.
- Changes with age: Getting older affect the muscles of bladder, it decreases its capacity to hold or store urine. Also, aging affects the involuntary bladder which leads to frequent contractions.
- Obstruction: It is a kind of tumor in the tract of urinary which may block the normal flow of urine and lead to overflow incontinence.
- Prostate cancer: Stress incontinence or urge incontinence in men may ally with untreated prostate cancer. But frequently, prostate cancer’s treatment side effect causes incontinence.
- Neurological disorder: Numerous sclerosis, a stroke, a spinal injury, Parkinson’s disease, brain tumor can affect the nerve which supply the signals of bladder and causes urinary incontinence.
Diagnosis and treatment of urinary incontinence
If you are facing any sort of discomfort then you must visit to an experienced urologist. They analyze the symptoms then they will recommend you to:
- Bladder diary: To maintain the urinary cycle of a month to examine the control capacity.
- Urinalysis: A sample of one’s urine is tested to detect the sign of infection, blood traces, or other abnormalities.
- Post void residual measurement: In this segment urologist ask you to urinate in a container and then test your bladder. Urologist examines the quantity of leftover in the bladder.
If additional information is desired, your doctor may advise you to do some tests, like urodynamic testing and also pelvic ultrasound. These tests are generally done if doctor advise you to surgical treatment.
According to the type of urinary incontinence its treatment may vary. After examine the severity of the one’s disease, urologist suggest treatment appropriately. Urologist either recommends you to follow some behavioral techniques which may involve Bladder training, double voiding, fluid and diet management or scheduled toilet trips. By considering the situation of urinary incontinence they may step towards surgical procedures. This surgical procedure includes sling procedures, prolapsed surgery, Bladder neck suspension, Artificial Urinary sphincter.
If you are facing such inconvenience of urinary incontinence, must visit to a urology specialist. Satyadev Superspeciality Hospital is one such place where you can receive ample care. The hospital is a full-fledged urology centre equipped with experts to solve all your queries. Dr. Rajesh Ranjan has started this hospital with the vision to provide the best of services in affordable price range.